Super-easy project coming your way today. A Barnwood Christmas Sign. Wanted to share this one with plenty of time to complete it before the holiday decorating is pushing in on us. On a side note: I saw a house in our neighborhood with their Christmas lights up AND LIT already!! Come on people! Really!!?? I haven’t even de-pumpkined my house yet!
I put this sign together a couple years ago and pull it out every year. It was so simple to make. I literally built it while sitting and watching TV one evening.
How to Build a Barnwood Christmas Sign:
10 foot 1×6 pine board
6 foot 1×2 pine board
80 grit sandpaper
favorite go-to white paint
letter stencils (Hobby Lobby)
- Cut your 1×6 pine board into 4-27 inch boards. (If you don’t have a miter saw, Home Depot will make your cuts for you).
- Cut your 1×2 pine board into 2-21 inch boards.
- Lay out your 4 1×6 boards, making a rectangular sign shape.
- Attach, with nails, your 1×2 boards onto your 1×6 boards. Run the 1×2 boards perpendicular to the 1×6 boards. This will hold your 4-1×6 boards together. (You should now have a sturdy sign ready to draw your masterpiece onto).
- Rub black stain on all 4 boards.
- After stain is dry, you are ready to add paint. Dry brush white paint on all 4 boards.
- You can distress it a bit, by sanding in different areas. This will pull out more of the black stain.
- After all the paint/stain is dry, you are ready to trace your letters onto the boards. Placing the words however you want them. For my sign, I wrote, “WE WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS”.
- I used pencil to trace my letters and place them where I wanted.
- Using black paint, color in your letters.
- After letter paint is dry, go over it with sandpaper again to lighten up your letters and once again, distress it a bit.
And that’s it…You now have a beautiful barnwood Christmas sign. If you’re feeling really ambitious, you can add 1×6 boards to the backside of your sign and have a non-holiday sign for year-round. Making the quote or saying, whatever you want it to be. When Christmas decorations have been put away, you still have a beautiful sign to display.
Christmas decorating is right around the corner. How fun to have your own special touch added into all the store-bought Christmas decor. Happy building!!!
As always, never miss an upcoming post by subscribing to my email list below.
Sign up for the RL Newsletter
Never miss a RepurposeLife post and valuable emails containing: DIY Projects, Full Tutorials and Interior Design Tips.